Monday, February 2, 2009

Kubuntu 8.10 and DOSBox

In the continuing saga of my documenting getting things going again in Kubuntu 8.10, we will now touch on a fairly quick and simple item, DOSBox. DOSBox is this nifty little emulator that allows you to play those old DOS games that just never seem to go away. I personally have copies of things like Doom (1 & 2), Heretic (not sure where the original is at, but I'll find it again sooner or later), Hexen (both versions), and Warcraft (yes the first version). I'll need to dig around to see what other DOS games I've got squirreled away, but these will keep me entertained for a while.

Well, in 8.04 I ran across DOSBox and installed. I then immediately had fun just playing with the games, but then the 8.10 upgrade happened. It was then my keyboard began to act all funky, with the keys not behaving anything like they should. So, I began poking around yesterday and found the information that I needed to fix my problem.

First I had to edit my dosbox.conf file to change usescancodes from true to false. Once that was done, then I deleted my mapper.txt file. With these few minor changes, I was able to once again enjoy playing Hexen.

Please note, that I'm using a sort of standard US keyboard, so your mileage may vary.

No comments:

Post a Comment