Friday, May 13, 2011

Blogilo and the Blog

For a while I've been wanting to setup Blogilo to handle my different blog accounts on the different sites. Perhaps a certain sense of laziness comes into play, but I never saw the need to visit all of these different sites endlessly. I like to think that I've better things to do with my time than to spend it trolling one blog site after another. Though, I suppose that could be just me.

Regardless, I invested the time to actually make Blogilo work for me. Setting it up for LiveJournal was easy. The entire auto-configure thing worked like a charm for me. I was able to add, my blog, and the different communities that I belong to on LJ. Then I went to add this blog to it and the troubles began.

In a nut-shell, it would error out with something to the effect that there was an XML error. The fix for it was to not use the automated features for creating a blog. They apparently run the process right off the road and into the weeds. So, to work it was just enter the blog URL, username, password, and then move on to the advanced tab to select the Blogspot.com API and the Blog ID. It took me a little while to figure how to get the blog ID, but if you are looking at your Blogspot journal, you'll find it at the end of the URLs at the top of the page. Then the thing works like a charm.

The next item was to get it working for DreamWidth as well. A quick Google search turned up this page, which proved all sorts of useful. Towards the bottom of the page the even have an entry specific to the use of Blogilo. Following the success of creating an account for DreamWidth, I moved on to get my InsaneJournal account setup. I just used the same format for the link as I did for the DreamWidth account and it took off without any problems.

After completing this exercise, I am now left to ponder, do I really need all of these different blogs? I suppose I could come back to that another day, but that is not this day.

Now to just figure out how to deal with tags for the posts.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, this helped me figure out how to get Blogilo working with blogspot.com. Note: I had to choose Blogspot.com (not Blogger 1.0) as the API.

    ReplyDelete